Total Pageviews

Monday, September 6, 2010

What Will Running Your Life at Full Power Mean for You?

For those pilots among us this would be a frightening reality. This is what's happening. You're down to the last 1,000 feet of runway, still haven't touched the wheels of the aircraft on the ground but still want to - there are just a couple problems: Number one you still have too much airspeed to actually land the airplane without it wanting to keep flying and two, you have some big trees right in front of you at the end of the runway.

I awoke this morning with this dream in my head. It was very clear - I was standing with a friend who owned the airport and the aircraft involved, but someone else was flying it. He was practicing take offs and landings and had just flown by trying to get the plane down. He was going too fast and still wanted to land, but was quickly running out of runway and there were those unforgiving trees straight ahead. I was thinking to myself - full power - you need to go full power or we will be picking up pieces of airplane and maybe body parts too! He added some power, but not full power and managed to fly through the branches, miraculously missing the trees altogether - ssshhhew! It was quiet some time later that he added full power.

Now I'm no interpreter of dreams, but it seemed to grow on me more and more this morning that there is a message of truth in it.

For some time I have been wanting to write my flight instructors exams (in fact I've had the course for almost 2 years before I started it) to get ready for the flying part of the instructors rating and have not been at "full power." I've been distracted by multitudes of anything. A saying you know well says something similar to this: If your crash is desired - don't add full power, but if you want to fly - full power is absolutely necessary.

Crashing into trees is a conflict none of us in our right minds would choose, but what are the trees in our lives? I have crashed into them at numerous times - relationship mishaps, poor financial decisions, poor planning, unfaithfulness in all of the above and especially poor time management (more about faithfulness in the future).                                              

I want to be at full power in the correct portions of my life's flight and at the correct power setting at all other times. The wise book of Proverbs says, "Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do! And whatever else you do, develop good judgment."

It's time to run at Full Power - for me that means faithfulness in everything - how I handle relationships, the way I use my time, finances, talents and more. What does it mean for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment