Total Pageviews

Friday, January 28, 2011

What is man that you are mindful of him?

                                                                                              Originally written February 2, 2008

Blue pinprick dots, black velvet night. Silence, majesty, enormity - insignificance, minuscule, tiny.
“When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained, What is man that You are mindful of him, And the son of man that You visit him?” Ps. 8:3, 4 NKJV What perfect context David could see. He knew that “The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork. Day unto day utters speech, and night unto night reveals knowledge. There is no speech nor language where their voice is not heard.” Ps. 19:1-3 NKJV Even in his day the skies were speaking - telling of God and of the work of His fingers and the state of His love. Just after the, “Let there be…lights in the firmament” there were.
Every time I look at the heavens at night I am thrilled by and filled with the awe of God.
And what does this have to do with conflict and peace? If I got it; if I saw who He really was; if I truly understood that the faint light from the pinpricks in the black night striking my retinas, having traveled trillions of miles through this vast, boundless and exotic universe filled with horse’s heads and cat’s eyes, were the work of His; if I could read The Artist’s ways in the speech His created works pour forth in volumes that would fill every library in an instant to overflowing; if I understood the deep love that comes to me across those many, many miles and comprehended who it is that is behind it; that He intends only good to me and not evil - I would cast my pride to the dust proclaiming “Holy, Holy, Holy - Lord God almighty…” and I would be at peace. I would never claim fame, but the glory would go to Him from my lips as it does from those in the heavens,
“You are worthy, O Lord,
To receive glory and honor and power;
For You created all things,
And by Your will they exist and were created.” Rev. 4:11
I need to look at the heavens often - to remind myself of who I am - insignificant, pitiful, tiny, minute - and yet… and yet - What am I that He is mindful of me? Tears spring to my eyes - what is it in me that He sees of value? We…, the objects of His supreme desire. “…for he who touches you touches the apple of His eye” and He has “inscribed you on the palms of His hands” Zech. 2:8, Isa. 49:16.
I am at peace in a knowledge of His majesty and His love for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment